How to obtain Permanent Residency in Mexico?
Follow us
INIESTRA ImagenDestacada 3

How to obtain Permanent Residency in Mexico?


Permanent Residency is for foreigners who wish to live within Mexico’s national territory. Among foreigners, the idea of acquiring a house or living in Mexico is becoming more and more popular. Some of the main reasons for a change of residence include: (1) the value of money and (2) the quality of life offered in some places in Mexico including Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, El Cuyo, Holbox, Cancun, Isla Mujeres and Tulum.


You may also be interested in our article: Get to know our testimonials.


What requirements do I need to process my residency?


If your intention is to stay in Mexico for a period of time longer than 180 days, but less than 4 years, it is mandatory to apply for a temporary residency visa. Unfortunately, this type of document does not grant you permission to work within the country. If you want to stay in the country for a period longer than 4 years, you must apply for a permanent residency visa. This visa, unlike others, does not have an expiration date.


In order to apply for the permanent residency visa, you need the following requirements:

  • Valid passport.
  • Passport size photograph.
  • Be a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa or prove your legal stay.
  • Proof of your economic solvency.
  • Payment of fees.


Present documents that prove that you are and/ or have any of the following: parents, minor children, siblings, cohabitants or minor stepchildren of a Mexican national or of a person who has permanent residency status. In the case of having a spouse, concubine, or common-law spouse, they will be provided with a temporary residence visa and after 2 years of this condition, they will be able to apply for their permanent residency card.

In order to obtain permanent residency without first having obtained temporary residency, an interview is required at the Mexican Consulate in your country of origin. It is important to note that each consulate carries their own requirements for the permanent residency visa, which some may not grant unless you are considered the appropriate age of a retiree.


The process is then finalized within Mexico at the INM (National Institute of Migration) where you will obtain your residency card that will certify your legal and permanent stay (usually within the same day). This part of the process must be processed between days 27 and 30 following your date of entry to Mexico.


You may also be interested in: Temporary or permanent residency?


At Iniestra and Associates, we have highly trained personnel to help you through this process without delays and with the attention you deserve. Our team will keep you updated throughout the process and are more than happy to assist in answering all your questions.



 Learn more about us 👉 here

Lawyers and accountants in Cancun, Isla Mujeres and Playa del Carmen.

Post a Comment

Abrir chat